Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Jeff[_7_] Jeff[_7_] is offline

Default Range clock - Disconnect it!

SteveB wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message
m...
SteveB wrote:
I think if we all disconnected all the lights we have that run 24/7 and
all these little clocks that we could make as much difference as AlGore
does with his global warming theories. If anyone is concerned about how
much electricity their clock uses, contact me, and I will send you a
quarter for a year's usage.

Hmm, I see you've snipped all context to make your point.

The real point is that phantom power loss is not negligible and accounts
for 5% to 10% worldwide. Higher in more developed economies. Many
appliance use more power "off" than on (collectively).

Now, you will probably object to any regulation that would level the
playing field and require all manufacturers to reduce phantom drain. And
that's a real shame as the technology already exists and the return on
investment is quick.

You can't consume your way out of every problem. You certainly would
rather do nothing about global warming. It's funny how some people can
deny the human component of global warming and yet have no problem with
the rationale of going to war in Iraq.

Also note that I've never advocated removing the clock from the range.

Jeff

Steve

Yeah. We need more laws.

Regulation is not a bad thing.

It's very hard for a company to do something for the long term good when
doing that puts it at a short term competitive disadvantage. That's why
regulations that are evenly applied to all competitors work. And why
voluntary targets don't.

We've had 7 years of corporate free reign under George W Bush. Few would
think the results are impressive. Fewer still would believe that we have
made progress toward solving the problems that loom.

Jeff

Steve