Posted to alt.home.repair
pipedown pipedown is offline

Default Critter died in the wall

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Something died inside a wall in my finished basement. The smell is
foul. It is not possible to get inside the wall. Is there anything I
can do other than wait for the carcass to dry up? Spraying with
Fabreeze helps for a while.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

If you knew exactly where it was there might be something you could do but
if not, its not worth tearing down the wall just yet. If it is a mouse, it
will be gone soon. Running a dehumidifier might speed it up a bit. A good
air filter with charcoal filter should work pretty good too.

Expanding foam insulation in a can is a good way to block up the hole that
animal got into in the first place if you can find it. We used to get birds
who would enter the attic and fall in the large gap between the bathroom
walls and make a racket. Found the access hole, sealed it up, no more
birds.

I miss the White Mountains of NH, my only regret after moving to CA from MA.