Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default pocket door install - can I keep a wall?

"CB" wrote in message
We have a traditional doorway (that didn't actually have a door), with
about 3 feet of open wall (ie no electric, plumbing, etc., not load
bearing) on one side that we would like to put a pocket door in now.
The drywall is out on one side of the wall (our bathroom, which is
completely torn out right now). The drywall on the other side however
(our bedroom) is still intact, and if I can get around it I'd rather
not tear that side out. All the DIY articles on pocket door say of
course the first step is to frame out the opening 2x the size of the
door, which of course assumes that both sides of the wall are out. Is
there ANY way to take out the 2 or 3 studs, the header, replace the
header, put int the pocket door hardware, etc. without tearing out
that other side of the wall?

Most likely it can be done with nothing more than a few nail head holes in
the drywall.

It isn't worth the time and effort to do so.

Rip it out and put it back the right way.

Colbyt