Posted to rec.woodworking
Al Holstein Al Holstein is offline

Default RAS Too Tight

On Jun 2, 8:12*am, Hoosierpopi wrote:
I have pulled the old Craftsman out of hiding and building it a new
table.

As part of the process, I tried elevating the blade with the existing
crank and found it most difficult to take it through the range. I am
thinking of adding a longer/larger handle to increase my leverage. *ut
thought to ask here if anyone had any suggestions based upon personal
experience with this issue and might offer a serious resolution
thereto.

Also, has anyone had any success finding part descriptions or manuals
for older Sears RAS on the net?

Thanks in advance.

I have a Sears RAS that I bought in 1975 that I use all the time. It
gets a little stiff to raise sometimes. When that happens take the
back panel of the table off and below that you will see the shaft that
you are turned to lift the saw. Where it connects up with the column
that raises up there is a little metal box. On the top or the front
of the box is a little hole. A few drops of machine oil in that hole
will do wonders for making it raise easier.

All the information that you got concerning cleaning and lubricating
the column is good advise also. I made a sleeve out of an old sock to
fit around the column where is slides into the frame to help keep that
area clean.

Regards,

Al