Posted to rec.woodworking
Edward Hennessey Edward  Hennessey is offline

Default RAS Too Tight

Peter Huebner wrote:
In article 5443e8ad-c6b4-46b4-9b87-14568b91b461
@l42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com, says...
I have pulled the old Craftsman out of hiding and building it a new
table.

As part of the process, I tried elevating the blade with the existing
crank and found it most difficult to take it through the range. I am
thinking of adding a longer/larger handle to increase my leverage.
ut thought to ask here if anyone had any suggestions based upon
personal experience with this issue and might offer a serious
resolution thereto.

Also, has anyone had any success finding part descriptions or manuals
for older Sears RAS on the net?

Thanks in advance.

Likely culprits:
Dried out grease,
dried out grease mixed with sawdust and set like concrete,
rust.

Bingo. This would be the first thing I would check. On many a RAS, the
crank drives
a gear in a small box that elevates the column rack. This frequently gets
packed with crud
and sawdust.

What they said: use penetrating oil, kerosene, or the stuff
that mechanics use to clean engine blocks to try and clear the
obstructions. Especially what you said about taking it through
the full range being difficult makes me think 'foreign matter
in the column'.

Instead of oiling the column, I'd take whatever appropriately fine grade of
abrasive pad or sandpaper and remove any rust and debris that have bonded
it. If your column isn't clean, it will bind. Try to access the base collar
for the
column, look there for accumulations.

Should things still move with resistance after cleaning, perhaps the
lightest coat of Teflon
spray lube would be something to consider.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey