Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sort of OT, Laptop Recommendation

The disk structure and such was altered - creating issues -
only my son has one and it is his computer.

I think that was one of their efforts to take business away from others -
ours work their old stuff won't...

Jack around Sun Soft after Sun won the JAVA suit against MS.

And obsolete older software that isn't compatible. Making more money.

Remember they invented the problem of virus attacks by teaching the
techniques in their scrip languages and providing the hooks for attacks.

What does one expect.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

cavelamb himself wrote:
David R. Birch wrote:

RogerN wrote:

Looking for a laptop for controls programming (PLC's, Drives,
module configuration, etc.). I'm preferring one with a built in
serial COM port as I have heard some of the software could be
difficult to make work with USB to Serial adapters. I know these
are available on some models of Dell and some Toshiba laptops. Any
recommendations for Dell Toshiba or other?

Thanks

Roger N

My company just bought used Dell Latitude C610 laptops for hooking up
to CNC controls through null modem cables. They came with 1gHz PIV, 20
gig hard drives, 256meg of RAM and Win2K installed and a DB9M real
serial port. We found them on ebay for about $800 for 3.

David

I just bought a new IBM Thinkpad Clone (Lenovo) from CompUSA.

They had these in the back room because they still had XP pro
on them (which was a major requirement for me).

With 2 Gig RAM and all the toys (wireless, CD/DVD burner, etc)
it was just over $700.

Vista has some serious software compatability issues.
Keep that in mind if you are going to need to use older stuff.

Richard