Silvan

Default buying furniture

Swingman wrote:

Cabinet grade plywood is acceptable, maybe even desirable in some areas of
the construction for its dimensional stability, although the absolute best
furniture seems to be made entirely of wood with as few steps as possible
from the tree.

I agree, but even our most high-dollar rich people furniture with all the
fancy oak carvings isn't pure wood. You just about aren't going to be able
to purchase pure wood furniture if you're buying from a store. Plywood is
all but a foregone conclusion.

As far as plywood though, I don't see that it's a big detractor if it's
quality plywood. I have a solid oak desk large enough to land an airplane
on that I got for $5 at auction. It's predominantly oak plywood, with
thick, solid facing everywhere that's visible. The drawers are oak all
around, including the bottoms and the dividers. It's the nicest piece of
furniture I own, hands down, and I don't think any less of it for using
plywood. It would be difficult to make something this big without plywood.

(And it was only $5.... I just used this message as an excuse to brag about
my desk again... $5!! )

Again, be prepared to pay for wood construction.

Pay BIGTIME. Thousands and thousands.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 16960 Approximate word count: 508800