Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Squirrel (?) Defeats Hav-a-Heart

frank1492 wrote:
I think I have a grey squirrel in my garage attic. I bought
a large hav-a-heart and baited it with nuts nested in peanut
butter. The next day I found the tray thoroughly empty (not
a hint of anything as if it had been washed!)
What's the solution- wire down the nuts maybe? Or do I
really have a squirrel or something else?
Help appreciated!
Frank

Make sure the tripper works and it should be a hair trigger or easily
released. Make sure the trap functions properly. Sometimes mine has to
be squared up or adjusted so doors readily fall. I've had mouse traps
and Hav-a-harts lose their bait without trapping anything. I also had a
raccoon that I could not catch as he was too big for the trap and it
would not close on him.

My son just had a dead squirrel removed from the area between his fire
place chimney and the surrounding pipe. Took a contractor to remove
siding and fireplace guy to cut and repair the pipe. Cost several
hundred dollars. You never want squirrels in the house and should do
everything to get them out and keep them out.