Posted to alt.home.repair
01dyna 01dyna is offline

Default do I need an expensive gas trimmer?

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 12:04:36 -0700 (PDT), Joe you
wrote:

On Jun 2, 2:57 pm, franz fripplfrappl wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 11:05:31 -0700, Joe wrote:
searching online I noticed a great disparity in pricing for grass
trimmers from $20 to $200. I'm not starting my own business I just need
the grass on the edge of my lawn where my lawn mower can reach to be
cut. Will the $20 model do or will I be buying a new one in 60 months?

Regardless the tool, buy the best you can afford and be happy. Cheap
tools are neither a joy to use nor do they last.

I found a trimmer that takes regular gas. No need to mess with oil/gas
mix.

Franz Fripplfrappl

Well the thing is, I only need the edger for certain areas of my lawn
and I've been cutting them with a big scissor trimmer for the past
year. I don't really need a trimmer but my wife says we do because it
will make the cuts a little neater. Any recommendations on the best
inexpensive model to buy?

having spent WAY too much on powered lawn tools in the past 30 some
odd years, I have to echo the previous reply. Buy the best you
can afford (Echo's are good, as well as Toros, RedMax etc.).

Cheap tools are, well..cheap. And you'll quickly find out that they'll
end up being hard to pull/start, will run unevenly and break down
often. Also, the cheaper gas powered lawn equipment are built
with cheap parts that will quickly break.

Your local Home Depot or Lowes has low and mid end equipment and
if you purchase the mid end equipment there, it'll probably do the
job. However, if you happen to have a lawn and garden store that
sells lawn equipment (or a lawn repair facility), go there and ask
their opinion. They'll be able to tell you which models have the
least amount of repairs, are the most comfortable to use and
fit within your price range. Most Depot and Lowes staff haven't
a clue what they're talking about when it comes to items outside
of their stock list.

You don' t need to buy what the pro's use but you also don't want
to buy something that won't be easy to use and will end up in
the repair shop after a couple of seasons.