Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet[_2_] James Sweet[_2_] is offline

Default Desoldering wattage and tip size for tight multilayer vias

msg wrote:
This Saturday I replaced seven popped Nichicon electrolytics
in my iMac G5; it took me nearly five hours of intense battling
with too-tight hole sizes and high-thermal conductivity planes
but the job got done and the fix worked. Has anyone worked
on this planar and can comment? What wattage and tip sizes
worked for you? I used a 65 watt iron and ground the tip into
various chisels and angled points, used excess solder and flux
and tried an amount of preheating but it really was a _bitch_
to do. I kinda doubt the board was made for repairing.

Michael

The heatsinking effect of planes can be a real issue. I use a 140W
Weller soldering gun for motherboard capacitor replacement, it's the
only thing I've found that puts down enough heat to remove the caps
without ripping up traces.