Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default RAS Too Tight

Hoosierpopi wrote:
I have pulled the old Craftsman out of hiding and building it a new
table.

As part of the process, I tried elevating the blade with the existing
crank and found it most difficult to take it through the range. I am
thinking of adding a longer/larger handle to increase my leverage. ut
thought to ask here if anyone had any suggestions based upon personal
experience with this issue and might offer a serious resolution
thereto.

Also, has anyone had any success finding part descriptions or manuals
for older Sears RAS on the net?

Agree w/ the soak advice and no cheaters. Depending on the model, there
may be an adjusting sleeve around the column which can be let off some
while you're playing. Be sure to work some penetrating
oil/kerosene/etc. into the gearing as well. Is it direct drive or belt
driven (so the crank is at the front)? Be sure the shaft(s) don't bind
as well.

If there's any rust/dirt/etc. on the column, use fine emery/steel
wool/etc. to shine it up as well.

As for parts/manuals/etc., at least try the Sears site w/ your model
number--there's quite a lot of info on much even if not all.