Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default pocket door install - can I keep a wall?

CB wrote:

OK - thanks. I saw some guys do it keeping the drywall intact at a
family members house, but when I saw the framing job on the bare side
of the wall it looked pretty unprofessional. They had shims, small
bits of wood, etc. scattered everywhere where the headers was to be
extended - I have no idea how they got everything out without screwing
up the drywall.

If had access to it from the other side, at least one way would be to
use a handy saw and cut the nails/screws off.

Overall, no more expensive than drywall is, it's still probably less
trouble to simply cut out the area and redo it.