Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Laptop LCD is only half lit after CCFL repair...

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 10:42:57 -0500,
lid (Shnuck) wrote:

I have an T43 Thinkpad whose LCD had been slowing dying (took on a
pinkish hue until eventually the screen went dim)--I had diagnosed
this as a problem with either the backlight or the inverter.

So, I replaced the CCFL (yes, I realize replacing the inverter would
have been an easier way to find out which part actually died, but, oh
well). My LCD now has a band of brightness on the bottom of the
screen...and only on the bottom. The rest of the screen is still
quite dark. My question is: does this mean I replaced the CCFL
incorrectly? or is the inverter true root of the problem?

It means that the reflector, that's usually attached to the CCFL lamp,
is the wrong curvature. The lamp has to be at the focus of the
reflector or you will get uneven lighting. However, if only a small
band is illuminated at the bottom of the screen, my guess(tm) is that
you simply forgot to install the reflector. Try again.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558