Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod[_2_] LRod[_2_] is offline

Default RAS Too Tight

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 08:12:13 -0700 (PDT), Hoosierpopi
wrote:

I have pulled the old Craftsman out of hiding and building it a new
table.

As part of the process, I tried elevating the blade with the existing
crank and found it most difficult to take it through the range. I am
thinking of adding a longer/larger handle to increase my leverage. ut
thought to ask here if anyone had any suggestions based upon personal
experience with this issue and might offer a serious resolution
thereto.

I wouldn't try a longer, "cheater bar" handle. That just, ahem,
elevates the risk of overtorquing some invisible, yet vital part. I've
squirted penetrating oil (or, quelle horror, WD-40) around the
junction between the column and the column insert (or column and
column sleeve, depending on how you look at it) and letting it sit for
a while. Then try running it up and down. You might need a few
applications, depending on how long and under what conditions it's
been sitting around.

Also, has anyone had any success finding part descriptions or manuals
for older Sears RAS on the net?

Try the old standby, http://www.owwm.com and just like Sears table
saws, the RASes have much in common with predecessors and successors
over the years (particularly so long as you stick with an Emerson
built model, man # 113), so if you don't get an exact manual, you
should at least find some useful part names (see "column" above) and
their relationships with one another.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.