Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rob Fraser Rob Fraser is offline

Default Sort of OT, Laptop Recommendation

"RogerN" wrote in message
news
Looking for a laptop for controls programming (PLC's, Drives, module
configuration, etc.). I'm preferring one with a built in serial COM port
as I have heard some of the software could be difficult to make work with
USB to Serial adapters. I know these are available on some models of Dell
and some Toshiba laptops. Any recommendations for Dell Toshiba or other?

Thanks

Roger N

Roger,
I am a huge IBM ThinkPad guy. I use them for everything under the sun
daily. However, they take quite a thrashing in the shop so I sprung for a
Panasonic Toughbook, used off E-bay and put a fresh load of XP Pro and all
my CAD/CAM and other software on it. You are 100% correct in the USB
concern and the adapters are hit and miss. Some work fine with one app and
leave a error in the event viewer on another. The Toughbook I have has both.
I paid just under $600.00 USC for it and I buy my ThinkPad's in pairs as
with laptops it's not "if" they break it's "when" they break and it's always
at the worst possible time. Just my 2 cent opinion but the rest of my shop
and home are on Sun gear as I prefer Solaris over Winblows but such is
life..... There are a LOT of tech guys here so expect some well educated
feedback on this one.

Respects,

Rob Fraser

Fraser Competition Engines