Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default fluorescent ballast question

Bob M. wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

Paul M. Eldridge wrote:
snip

I fully agree -- cooler, more reliable operation, no flicker, no
annoying hum and about a 40 per gain in operating efficiency (i.e.,
100+ lumens per watt versus typically 70 to 75). snip

... and bulbs last (almost) forever with electronic ballasts.

This I've not heard before. Why do they last longer? It seems the
filaments are still being subjected to the stresses of current inrush
when turned on.

I don't know why, but I do know I haven't had to change a bulb since
I switched to electronic ballasts quite a few years ago.