Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default fluorescent ballast question

In article , Bob M. wrote:
"CJT" wrote in message
Paul M. Eldridge wrote:
snip

I fully agree -- cooler, more reliable operation, no flicker, no
annoying hum and about a 40 per gain in operating efficiency (i.e.,
100+ lumens per watt versus typically 70 to 75). snip

... and bulbs last (almost) forever with electronic ballasts.

This I've not heard before. Why do they last longer? It seems the filaments
are still being subjected to the stresses of current inrush when turned on.

In my experience, the ballasts that are subpar by delivering way-off arc
current or delivering arc current with excessively high "crest factor" are
*more likely* to *not* be "electronic".

Also in my experience, fluorescent lamp filaments tend to not experience
a destructive degree of inrush current. In my experience, a good 99% or
so of fluorescent lamp failures are for wear-and-tear on the filaments
related to some combination of number of starts and operating hours, with
the operating hour related wear being greater if arc current is way off or
has high crest factor. I don't see fluorescent lamp failures explainable
by filament inrush current from cold start.

- Don Klipstein )