Woody

Default Best way to drill through cast iron???

"tnfkajs" wrote in message
I'm stumped on a good way to add an outfeed table to my saw. Yet another
"benefit" of the Jet Supersaw. Before I dimisss this idea entirely, I
thought I'd ask the "Pro's".

If I wanted to attach some brackets to the table saw cast iron top, I

think
I'd be drilling some biggun holes into some purdy thick iron. Would I be

an
idiot to try this? Would it take forever? Would I go through 35 bits?

Would
I need some liquid coolant on the bore? Should I buy eight $15 Black and
Decker cheapo drills and just burn them up?

Or - should I dimiss this approach and look for another way to attach the
outfeed table?

Off memory (from when i drilled holes in my bandsaw table for an aftermarket
fence), just use a standard high speed steel twist bit at about 1000rpm (I
used a drill press). A little lube may help disipate the heat produced and
protect the drill bit a little more but apply it only after you have drilled
in a small way, so it doesn't slip while your trying to drill the first few
mm's

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Latest 5 Reviews:
- Ryobi CDL1802D Pro Series 18v Cordless Drill
- Eze-Lap Diamond Sharpening Stones
- Incra TS-III Table Saw Fence
- Ryobi AP13 Planer/Thicknesser
- BeadLOCK Loose Tenon Joinery System