Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
R.C. Payne R.C. Payne is offline

Default Electric cars a step nearer mainstream?

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:29:46 on Mon, 2
Jun 2008, R.C. Payne remarked:
I was walking round Zurich, and after an hour or so, it occured to me:
I had not seen a single diesel bus. Fist fulls of electric trams, a
smaller number of electric trolleybuses, but not a single IC engined bus.

Maybe you were very near the centre? In Geneva they have trams and
trolleybuses, but not a very large number of routes for them. All the
remaining stuff has to be filled in by conventionally powered buses.

I was mostly in the central area, but all those trams had to be going
somewhere, and there were seriously large numbers of them. I'm sure out
in the suburbs there are diesel buses, presumably acting as feeders to
the trams and big trains, but none of those routes penetrated the centre.

Robin