Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Help wiring light/fan/heater

Bill McKenzie wrote:
I am trying to install a combination light/fan/heater in a bathroom.
There are already 2 sets of wires going from the switch box to the
ceiling location, but I need 3 (one for each light, fan, heater).
Would it be OK to share a single neutral for all three devices and use
the extra white wire in the second cable as an additional hot? The
two cable are different colors (black and white) and the black seems
to have larger gauge wire than the white. Any help appreciated.

nope. what you need to do is run either a single 12/4 if such a thing
exists, or a piece of greenfield with six conductors in it (black, red,
blue, ?? (orange?) white and green. Otherwise you need to split the
neutrals and replace one of your 12/2wg's with a 12/3wg. Reason being
that all the currents in a given cable assembly need to sum to zero.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel