Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ron Moore Ron Moore is offline

Default Sort of OT, Laptop Recommendation

A lot depends on your software compatibility. Vista or XP? Few new LT's
have integrated serial ports. In the business line of most manufacturers,
you can still source XP as the o/s. Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc. depends on what
service/support you have available locally. HP probably has more laptop
service available at a local repair center than others. Toshiba may be
comparable, I'd have to check. If you have a good relationship with a local
establishment, check with them.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

"RogerN" wrote in message
news
Looking for a laptop for controls programming (PLC's, Drives, module
configuration, etc.). I'm preferring one with a built in serial COM port
as I have heard some of the software could be difficult to make work with
USB to Serial adapters. I know these are available on some models of Dell
and some Toshiba laptops. Any recommendations for Dell Toshiba or other?

Thanks

Roger N