Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Petrol strimmer / brush cutter recommendations

Tim S wrote:

I just have to decide if it's worth saving (cut to 3-4 feet high and see if
it can be loved into shape over a couple of years) or whether lop it to the
ground and start again. 5-6" capacity should sort out some of the tree
branches too.

The actual bar is 10" - so it would probably cope with close to that
without any exotic cutting techniques.

I might try out the hedge trimmer tomorrow and see that that is like.
I did some *serious* cutting of a 10' high hedge at my late fathers house
yesterday[1]. Hawthorn, holly, brambles in amongst something quite tough.
It had no trouble - I was quite impressed. Took 1/2 an hour to take the
outside face off 150' run of hedge.

I have about 120' of 10' evergreen to have a go at... did not get round
to it today...

My first conclusion is that it may not give the same grade of finish
(flatness mostly) that a "normal" trimmer with a decent length bar would
(probably not surprisingly), but I did manage reasonable results on the
climbing dangly stuff along the fence.

Yup - I expect that may be the case...

(note there are two trimmer add ons - one fixed and one with an
articulated head (chap in the shop said they sell hardly any of the
fixed ones))

BTW, I did notice an ExpandIt extender pole which can add another couple of
feet onto the reach - might save the arms if reaching high will be a
regular occurrence).

Yup, managed to get the shop to give me one of those ;-)

Tried it on the strimmer - handy for getting under overhanging trees -
but a bit front heavy as you would expect. Probably more use on the saw
or trimmer. (although not recommended you can use more than one extender
at a time)

--
Cheers,

John.