Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Petrol strimmer / brush cutter recommendations

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

Tim S wrote:

That's encouraging, I might get one of those. What's the thickest branch
you tried cutting?

about 4 or 5" (It seemed to have no difficulty with that, so I expect
more would be ok)

Thanks John. The hedge is pug ugly but the max trunk thickness is about 2",
so the pruner won't have any trouble. It will be useful having the pruner
on a pole, with the hedge being a fairly nasty blend of prickly things...

I just have to decide if it's worth saving (cut to 3-4 feet high and see if
it can be loved into shape over a couple of years) or whether lop it to the
ground and start again. 5-6" capacity should sort out some of the tree
branches too.

I might try out the hedge trimmer tomorrow and see that that is like.

I did some *serious* cutting of a 10' high hedge at my late fathers house
yesterday[1]. Hawthorn, holly, brambles in amongst something quite tough.
It had no trouble - I was quite impressed. Took 1/2 an hour to take the
outside face off 150' run of hedge.

I have about 120' of 10' evergreen to have a go at... did not get round
to it today...

My first conclusion is that it may not give the same grade of finish
(flatness mostly) that a "normal" trimmer with a decent length bar would
(probably not surprisingly), but I did manage reasonable results on the
climbing dangly stuff along the fence.

BTW, I did notice an ExpandIt extender pole which can add another couple of
feet onto the reach - might save the arms if reaching high will be a
regular occurrence).

http://www.greenfingers.com/supersto...&pf_id=DD4440D

Cheers

Tim