Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tbasc@bellsouth.net is offline

Default Repainting wooden frame windows

On Jun 1, 2:26*pm, gee-dub wrote:
Hi, with spring hitting it's time to touch up the outside of my wooden
frame windows. *They are a bit of a mess right now with some paint
gone and perhaps the first signs of the wood starting to rot. *So if I
strip the paint off, is it OK to just prime and paint ... will the
wood rot stop - there is perhaps just a few small signs of rot - it's
not too bad.
And, what is the best way to strip the old paint off? *Scraper? *Paint
stripper? *Someone even once mentioned that a pressure washer would
strip paint pretty well.
Any advice is gratefully received.

Thx.

Be very careful to remove all rotted, or soft wood.
If mold or mildew spores remain below the paint film, they will
eventually cause more deterioration.
Pressure washing is used in my area to remove spores of mold and
mildew before painting.
The wood must be allowed to dry, since moisture trapped behind the
paint film will expand when heated and cause blistering.
Two part epoxies require careful adherence to mixing instructions to
work and when mixed and applied as directed are much the best fix for
deteriorated wood.
These comments are based on my direct experience.