Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John2005 John2005 is offline

Default Pre-hard machinable steel with highest compressive yield strength

Thanks for the additional feedback and links guys, I will check into
this a little further.

The shop I'm having machine the parts has no in house heat treating. I
was trying to avoid having to fool with machining a few thousandths
over size, heat treating, and griding to final size. From an accuracy
standpoint, it's also best to machine this in one setup.

I might be able to get close to what I need or perhaps I will have to
heat treat and grind. Perhaps I will test some pre-hard and see how it
does first. I will also check out the links John gave regarding hard
milling, that sounds interesting.

Thanks again and take care guys,
John