Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry Mike Henry is offline

Default Clausing 5914 - Test Report Requirements

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message

"Mike Henry" wrote:

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
[snip]

Actually, what is the claimed speed range of the 5914? This must
have
been published in a brochure or catalog page somewhere. The scale
on
the variable speed control wheel appears to be wider than the actual
range. For one thing, the scale goes to 2000 rpm, but one hits a
mechanical stop at 1900 rpm. Probably the same control wheel
assembly
was used on multiple lathe models, each with slightly different
gear/pulley ratios, with limit stops adjusted to match.

Clausing claimed 52-280 rpm in back gear and 360-2000 in direct drive
for
the 5900-series lathes. This from a Clausing brochure I have of
unknown
vintage.

That agrees with the scales on the control wheel, but there is a hard
stop at 1900 rpm. Thus my question.

I've not delved into the speed control much, but if memory serves there
is a
roll pin that acts as the hard stop. Can the speed control hub be
rotated
to adjust the setting at which the stop becomes effective?

Probably, but Clausing probably had a good reason to put the hard stop
where they put it. I'm trying to figure this out before T try to
circumvent it.

No, I meant that the position of the hard stop may *need* to be adjusted.
I'm not at all certain of that though, so just consider it a thought.