Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Cracked Washing Machine Overflow Tray

I sincerely wish this was a "two minute' solution as you describe. The
laundry room is barely large enough to install the washer and dryer, let
alone using bricks, boards, and fulcrums to temporarily re-arrange things to
re-install a new drain and a new tray. I rejected the total tray replacement
do-it-it-yourself approach for that reason. I also rejected the total re-do
of the tray, drain, etc. since the only damage is at the front lip and it
would seem that some method ***SHOULD*** be available to form a new front
lip which would avoid the other issues entirely.

I am going to research the ideas of using a strong flashing or other seal /
gasketing material as well as the fiberglass cloth and resin approach
suggested, both of which seem could solve my problem. I am also thinking
that there may be some type of trim used as a threshold in stall showers
which possibly might be cut to the right length and then caulked in with a
good RTV/ sealant.

Thanks for the replies so far. Any other suggestions are certainly very much
appreciated and welcomed.

Smarty

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Smarty wrote:
My son and his wife moved into a house with a second floor laundry
room.
To prevent washing machine overflow from pouring onto the first floor
ceiling below, the washing machine sits in a large plastic tray which
has a raised lip around the perimeter and a floor drain connected to
the bottom which empties into a drain / waste PVC connection. The
washing machine laundry tray looks like this:

http://tinyurl.com/6f8ubu

The front edge / lip of the tray has been broken, leaving no
protection against water overflow.

The obvious solution is to buy a new tray, temporarily remove the
washer, install and plumb the new tray, and then (with two muscular
people) lift and set the new washer down onto the new tray. This is a
few hundred bucks using local contractor parts and labor.

One cheaper alternative is to find a way to reconstruct the broken
front lip of the tray. Since the rest of the tray and all the drain
plumbing is intact, this seems to be a much more attractive option.

Any ideas as to how to accomplish this?

What is this "few hundred bucks" business?

Buy the tray ($30 from the ad you posted, less if bought locally).

Two boards, two bricks as fulcrums, two small people, and two minutes.
You're done.