Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Device to measure bulb brightness?

On Sat, 31 May 2008 22:05:21 GMT, Calab wrote:

With all the talk about CFLs, incandescent bulbs and LED bulbs I was
wondering... Is there a device that can be used to objectively measure the
brightness of a light? Something I can use to compare bulbs in my home, auto
headlights, flashlights, etc?

Well, what I was looking for was something, with a 1" square (or
whatever) sensor, that I put at a specific distance from each light
source. All I want to know is how much visible light hits the sensor.

I don't need to know how well it lights a room, or the quality of the
light.

Sounds like a lightmeter [light meter, luxmeter]. Measures lux- can
be had for $5 at garage sales/ebay - or probably $50 or so at a camera
store.

Jim