Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Thompsons water seal

Jim wrote:
Hello ,

I have used Thompsons water seal on my cedar deck for the past 6 or so
years...I use the "Natural" stuff which preserves the wood and keeps the
wood grain looking bright etc... My first year I used the stuff I got a jug
that had been frozen and as a result the sealer didn"t dry so had to scrub
it all off and start again......I got a few new cans and it went great... I
could see the wood grain coming out and looking fresh and bright as I put
the stuff on..
This year I bought these plastic jugs of Thompsons water seal (It
usually comes in tins)...I figured that they just changed their
packaging...it says its the same stuff on the jug, but when putting this
stuff on it dosen't go on like the oil which brings out the wood grain..it
is rather like a yellow milky substance that does nothing for the wood
grain...I ony did a few sq feet and shut it down as I don"t want to have to
scrub the entire deck like I had to years ago...
Has anyone used this product that would care to comment? Thanks...Jim

I think they reformulated for VOC'c as other respondent says. Last
year, I applied some to our swim club's picnic benches and it went on
milky and particles were crystallizing out. It could not be applied
from a sprayer as in previous years as it clogged the sprayer nozzle.

I also had an old can which I used to touch up my deck this year and it
did not show this problem.