Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Which CH cleaner & inhibitor?

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2008-05-29 08:11:37 +0100, Lobster
said:

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2008-05-28 20:35:28 +0100, Mark said:

Thanks for all the replies. I have looked at hiring a power flusher
but the only one I can find is about £100 and it doesn't mention use
in a sealed system.

Yes it will work with a sealed system. £100 is a reasonable price.

How do you actually attach power flushers to the CH system? Do you
need to provide a special port or something?

Usually they hook into the pump position - at least on ones that I've seen.

Having been sufficiently interested to look at the instructions myself
(as I think I might well take the plunge and do this to my own
system over the summer - long overdue) I do find it a bit confusing.

I think I'd need to do this by removing the utility room rad and hooking
the flusher up there (my pump being buried inside my system boiler).
Would I then leave the boiler CH flow and return valves open for the
whole flushing process (which surely is necessary for a "circuit"), or
should they be closed off?

The instructions seem to be saying you flush each rad separately in
situ, several times in both directions, by going round the house and
closing off all other rads; is that about right? Still sounds pretty
time-consuming and laborious. It also indicates having a tankfull of
chemical-laced water which is used for the flushing - with 16 rads in my
house apparently to be flushed separately, (with all the dead volume of
pipework each time) isn't that going to be a massive amount of cleaner?!
Or am I misunderstanding the process?

David