Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Petrol strimmer / brush cutter recommendations

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

snip
The chainsaw add-on I was expecting to be a bit feeble, but was actually
quite impressive - sliced its way through anything I threw it at without
complaint - the strimmer having plenty of power for the task (which
given its only a 10" bar on a 30cc engine is perhaps not that
surprising). Seemed quite economical with the chain oil, and did not
exhibit the tendency to spew too much of fit all over the place. The
balance with the saw is not as good as the line cutter head, being
slightly end heavy. Working at a reach for higher overhead stuff becomes
a bit tiring after 20 mins or so. (I went round trimming anything dead
looking from about 18 fruit trees - was quick and easy enough, but that
was about as much as I wanted to do in one session).

That's encouraging, I might get one of those. What's the thickest branch you
tried cutting?

I might try out the hedge trimmer tomorrow and see that that is like.

I did some *serious* cutting of a 10' high hedge at my late fathers house
yesterday[1]. Hawthorn, holly, brambles in amongst something quite tough.
It had no trouble - I was quite impressed. Took 1/2 an hour to take the
outside face off 150' run of hedge.

Cheers

Tim

[1] People were whining about getting twigs and brambles in the face, not
unreasonably...