Posted to alt.home.repair

Default When to get new water heater ?

On Sat 31 May 2008 11:31:56p, SteveB told us...

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Tony Miklos" wrote in message
john wrote:

Plus, I heard from one of the guys
working on my flooring..who said he bought a new water heater and it
didnt even last 6 months. It blew open and flooded his house.

LOL! Reminded me of a guy who tapped into city water lines and ran it
into his new house. The dummy didn't known it needed a pressure
regulator and he exploded 2 water heaters! They even had pressure
relief valves but the water pressure was just too great and the relief
valves couldn't relieve the water fast enough.

Sounds like BS to me. We have 105 psi coming into our building at work
and never cause any damage to a water heater. We have 6 of them.
FWIW, I don't have a pressure regulator at my house either.

Why is it that this is the first time I have heard that a pressure
regulator is required for a public water supply?

Seems to me if pressure was indeed that high that it would have popped a
line upstream, rather than a pristine new one.

Reminds me of a guy that used to do too much acid.

Steve

Not implausable. Back in the 1950s my parents bought a house in a
neighborhood quite close to the reservoir and pumping station. We were
blowing washers right and left in every faucet, and serious knocking in
almost every pipe. My dad, an engineer, measured the pressure at 145 psi.
He installed a regulator soon after that. I think most homes in the area
ended up with regulators.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 05(V)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)