Posted to alt.home.repair
pipedown pipedown is offline

Default Thompsons water seal

Even if it is the exact same product there is no reason to expect it to make
the wood look the same as it did when it was new considering it doesn't
sound like you did much prep. Did you power wash? You need to get the
oxidized wood, dirt and any residual old sealer off before the new sealer
will take to the wood like when it was new.

"Jim" myplace@home wrote in message
el...
Hello ,

I have used Thompsons water seal on my cedar deck for the past 6 or
so years...I use the "Natural" stuff which preserves the wood and keeps
the wood grain looking bright etc... My first year I used the stuff I got
a jug that had been frozen and as a result the sealer didn"t dry so had to
scrub it all off and start again......I got a few new cans and it went
great... I could see the wood grain coming out and looking fresh and
bright as I put the stuff on..
This year I bought these plastic jugs of Thompsons water seal (It
usually comes in tins)...I figured that they just changed their
packaging...it says its the same stuff on the jug, but when putting this
stuff on it dosen't go on like the oil which brings out the wood grain..it
is rather like a yellow milky substance that does nothing for the wood
grain...I ony did a few sq feet and shut it down as I don"t want to have
to scrub the entire deck like I had to years ago...
Has anyone used this product that would care to comment? Thanks...Jim