Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_2_] John R. Carroll[_2_] is offline

Default Pre-hard machinable steel with highest compressive yield strength

Black Dragon wrote:
John R. Carroll wrote:

Black Dragon wrote:
John R. Carroll wrote:

John2005 wrote:
Hi everyone,

John, Viscount (pronounced vi-count) 44 is Rockwell C 42/46 off the
shelf. The only heat treatment I've ever seen done to it is nitriding
for wear resistance. It's more difficult to drill than NAK 55 and DH2F
but other than that it's not a bad material to work with.

I built seat belt cover molds out of it in the 70's for Allied Chemical.
They tried to save a buck by having me requote the tools in Viscount instead
of the S-7 I'd originally wanted to use.
When that little window shut off in the center where the little latch
release mechanism ( the thingy with GM on it ) would start to flash a lot
they had to be welded. Guess what happened to those little cavities when we
put enough heat into them to get a good weld?
LOL
We converted a lot of cavities in the end to S-7 so I guess you're right.
It's not bad material at all EG

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com