Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default engine problems

wrote in message
I have a '94 Ford Ranger pickup. It has only 62000 miles on as I ride
my bike a lot. It has been a good runner until recently when one day
started it and the engine ran as rough as if one cylinder was
missing.
Out on the street it smoothes out a little but lacks power. Since
it’s drivable I’m trying to troubleshoot it myself rather than take it
someplace where they will sell me a lot of parts I don’t need.
It has the 2.3 L 4 cyl. Engine with distributorless ignition. I’m
thinking that the
probability is that the problem is not the ignition because of the
relatively low mileage, the two ignition modules and two plugs per
cylinder.
Does this make sense? My guess is a clogged fuel injector. I put in a
bottle of Gumout fuel injector cleaner and have driven it about 40
miles with no results.
How long does it usually take injector cleaner to work?
Is it possible to use a scanner on it? I don't see anything about
that
in Chilton's.
Any other ideas?
Engineman
A lot of good ideas in other posts but seldom used vehicles are prone to
suffer from sticky valves so you might want to consider that also.

Don Young