Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default fluorescent ballast question

Nate Nagel wrote:
Hi,

I have some troffers in my basement that I got off Craigslist; I'm very
happy with them (they look much better than the previous shop lights
screwed to the joists with lighting panels in the drop ceiling below
them...) however one had a loud ballast in it. I pulled it apart today
to replace the loud ballast and found that the other ballast was very
hot - hot enough that you can only comfortably rest your hand on it for
10 seconds or so. (I have it wired so each ballast is controlled by an
individual switch, so you can have bright lighting for fine work or
normal lighting for simply being downstairs.)

Am I correct in ASSuming that this is not normal, and that I should
procure yet another ballast? These are typical troffers like you'd find
in an office with four 40W tubes and two ballasts. The tubes connected
to the hot ballast light up fine and I have not noticed any unusual
operation, but it simply seems too warm.

thanks

nate

well I guess this must be normal, the replacement ballast (scavenged
from another similar fixture) is just as hot after being on for a couple
hours. I guess I never ran them exposed before or paid any attention.
Or do I have another bad one?

I don't have any other fluorescent fixtures to install laying around
although I do have tons waiting to be installed...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel