Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Al is offline

Default Where are air leaks most commonly found in a house?

Jonathan Grobe wrote:
I want to deal with them to cut heating expenses.

I personally don't advocate that a house be to tight. If you run an air exchanger
that recovers outbound heat then fine but otherwise the old ranch needs some fresh
air and if it's to tight you have health issues, excess moisture, mold and the like.

One or two things you could do to conserve heat would be to provide a fresh air vent
into your dryer room so that the dryer is not sucking cold air in through every
opening, no matter how tiny, in your house, including causing back drafts in gas
water heaters and fire places and the like. Fire places will do the same thing too!
Air goes up the chimney so it has to come from somewhere.
Al