Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Convert from Oil Heat?

On May 31, 10:10�am, dpb wrote:
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:

I take it your post misunderstood my question, and you're arguing that in
the long run oil prices will drop (due to cars running on methyl ethyl) so I
should sit tight. �Right?

That's the contention and it's simply more poppycock and wishful
dreaming...as someone else noted, alcohol(s), soy biodiesel, etc., will
help but won't solve that problem and the effect on heating oil will be
tenuous and extremely long term at best.

You can only evaluate what is available in your area and try to make a
decision on what supplies are available and try to decide which hedge
makes more sense.

The one thing haller did mention (altho I'm not sure it was even in this
thread) is that probably the most cost-effective long run heating
solution is the ground-source heat pump albeit it does have a moderately
high initial installation cost. �What that would be depends greatly on
the site so you would have to research that w/ locals.

--

my point is that the OP haS A full OIL TANK, at this point he is
probably better off to bide his time, before spending boatloads of

till next spring

he has a year to decide, the current astronomical price run up may run
down. just look at home prices off 25% in some areas. sure it probably
will never be cheap again.

the oil producing nations are greedy, and risk a world recession and
or depression.

that would cut consumption and price, perhaps a lot.

he should probably concentrate this year on insulation, have blower
test for leaks etc. those investments tend to pay off forever.

lastly a heat pumps output may feel cool or drafty for a previous oil
customer......

there output temperature is lower, feels cool to some.