Edwin Pawlowski

Default engineered wood floor, need to seal joints?

"Dave C" wrote in message
news
We are in the process of having an engineered wood floor glued down on a
concrete base. It is a Mannington Mills Ultrafit tongue and groove

system,
Biltmore 3" maple with beveled top edges on each piece. Looks great so

far.

I just installed Mannington over concrete and did not glue it down. What
are you gluing to? You are supposed to have a water barrier AFAIK? I glued
the tongue and groove, but nothing else. I'd check out the appropriatness of
the installation over concret with no poly barrier. To me, that is more of a
concern than a little spill.

Several rooms including the KITCHEN! I am worried about water percolating
down between the individual pieces. They fit pretty tight, but I think

that
water will certainly get in. What will that do?

In my case, it is sealed at the edge, the glue is water proof and would form
a barrier itself. Water should not get past the adhesive.

Seems to me that there should be some thin sealer that could be applied to
the floor to seal the seams and prevent water from getting in. Even floor
wax might do it.

I'd be leery of putting anything on top of the already fine finish. If you
used a varnish or poly coating, it probably would show scratches before the
factory applied finish. You only need to protect the area at the beveled
edge. Was would tend to fill in the area. I don't have it in my kitchen,
but I'd rely on the adhesive, properly applied, to do the job.

I did my own installation and saved about $1200. Used part of that to buy a
CMS to do the cutting.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome