John Laird

Default Bowing house wall - tie rods?

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 20:08:07 +0100, Grunff wrote:

TBH, I'm not terribly worried about the wall collapsing, because
[a] It's very unlikely to do so, given that it's stood this
long, and is supported by a great big stone porch on the
outside, and [b] Even if it did, it really wouldn't be the end
of the world, and would give us a good reason to rebuild the house.

[a] But you say it is still moving... What gives you confidence that the
movement will stop before it eventually collapses ? I don't think "it's
stood this long" is a particularly sound reason, engineering-wise !

[b] Do you think this wall is non-structural ? What's to say your house
won't come down with it.

I think you ought to get a structural engineer to take a look (was anyone
other than a surveyor involved when you bought the place). You could start
off the whole process with a call to your insurers, but be warned that after
a claim you may be unable to ever change companies.

I had a bulging back wall re-tied as part of the mortgage conditions on my
house - the outer leaf had come adrift from the inner (structural) wall.

--
Mail john rather than nospam...