Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Device to measure bulb brightness?

In article ,
Jim Yanik wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
wrote:

On Fri, 30 May 2008 06:19:31 -0400, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

"Calab" wrote in message
With all the talk about CFLs, incandescent bulbs and LED bulbs I
was wondering... Is there a device that can be used to
objectively measure the brightness of a light? Something I can use
to compare bulbs in my home, auto headlights, flashlights, etc?

A light meter.

Correct, and for the OP, they are sold at camera stores.
Profesional photographers use them all the time. I'm sure you can
find them online too.

The OP didn't mention photography, so I doubt that he wants to measure
footcandles. He may mean lumens, or candlepower, or luminance. The pdf
link I posted is a good primer.

better light meters will convert measurements.

Apples and oranges, Jim. No conversion exists between the many ways to
measure light intensity, because they all mean different things.