Posted to alt.home.repair
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis Dimitrios Paskoudniakis is offline

Default Convert from Oil Heat?

wrote in message
On May 30, 6:20?pm, "Dimitrios Paskoudniakis"
wrote:
My 3000+ sq ft ?(incl basement) house has two-zone heating/cooling, with
an
oil furnace and air conditioner for the basement and first floor, and a
heat
pump for the upstairs.

I bought the house three years ago, when oil was less than $2.00 per
gallon.

Due to the high cost of oil, I called the oil company about budget billing
(same price every month), and was told they are using $4.50 per gallon as
planning number for next heating season, and said I use about 280 gallons
per heating season.

Also, I live in Maryland where the local utility company was deregulated
and
for the first time in 15 years, was able to raise rates last year. ?They
claimed it was a 50% increase. ?I don't see how a jump from about $150 to
$300 per month is 50%. ?That's 100%. ?With oil heat on the first floor, my
annual monthly average use is about 2400 kWh per month.

Where I live there is no natural gas available.

I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but is it worth an
investment
for me to switch from oil and a/c for the basement and first floor to a
second heat pump or other energy source? ?If so, what other factors need
be considered, for example will my electric panel be able to handle two
heat
pumps? ?I have neighbors with two heat pumps rather than one plus oil/
a/c -
that's what the builder installed for them.

What about a propane tank?

Finally, my oil tank is full. ?Would I be better to deplete it over the
next
winter, then convert?

What is a typical cost to convert? ?Will a HVAC company dispose of the oil
tank? ?Any other issues to consider? ?If this is a viable investment, how
long will it take to realize a positive return on the investment?

you have a full tank? lucky you.

bide your time, oil prices may drop like a rock.

either a worldwide depression will kill consumption or a new
president and congress will find a alternative fuel plan and the oil
producing countries will increase production to try and derail the
replacement fuel.

either way the mid east oil producers will ultimartely lose

Lucky me indeed. I think my last fill was about $600 for around 150 gal
after a fill about two months earlier. That works out to needing about
$300/month in the heating season, in addition to my average monthly $300
electric.

Good advice though (really, not sarcasm), thanks. I hope you're right.