Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Default uWave ovens, was: 280V motor on 230V circuit

James Sweet wrote in news:HT%%j.670$BV.298
@trndny05:

With a Variac on the input, this is a handy for working on line
operated devices that might have a line-to-chassis defect.

Do you actually use a setup like that? I'd think that for any sort
of current, the filament windings would be melting down even though
they are made of fat wire. For example, at 300 VA of output, you're
looking at ~100 A in the filament winding.

Connecting the HV windings together would probably work a lot better.
Would want to knock out the magnetic shunts too, that can be tricky but
I've done it on several without damaging the windings.

I wanted some heavy copper wire to wind a coil with so I tore xxxx started
to tear up an old microwave transformer.
Found out that pretty copper wire was aluminum with a copper colored layer
on top of it.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.