Phisherman

Default buying furniture

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 03:55:08 GMT, Rick wrote:

Being a non-worker, I'm seeking advice on how to identify what is
quality furniture at a retail store and what is junk. Is it generally
safe to say that the more expensive stuff is better than the cheaper
stuff? Any specific retail manufucturers that produce a good product?
Any I should stay away from?

I'm going to be buying a wall unit entertainment center come this
winter and want to know what I'm halfway doing since I haven't made
any major furniture purchases in quite a while. Looking to spend
about $3000 and need a unit that will acoomodate a rear projection
HDTV.

If you are lucky enough to live near Amish country, you can custom
order furniture from them. Not cheap, but always quality. You can
sometimes tell quality by close inspection and turning the piece
upside down. I don't think buying a furniture piece specifically for
a TV is a good investment since TV's are changing, and will likely
become some sort of gas-plasma picture that hangs on the wall--then
your entertainment center won't serve much purpose. Perhaps an
armoire would be a better choice?