Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair
David Lesher David Lesher is offline

Default 280V motor on 230V circuit

(Michael Moroney) writes:

I've never heard of such as manual regulators so I assume they are
automatic.

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned the automatic ones are expensive
and only used for big substations, not for long runs of distribution
systems like that one. Before I read that I assumed they must be
automatic.

I know mine [which look to be very similar to the picture..] are
automatic -- after my PSC complaint, the PEPCO phone droid read off the
trouble report where the lineman went out, found higher-than-wanted
voltage on my phase and set it to manual until the correct person could
fix the regulator.

Alas, the first repair didn't work, as a week later, I was awoken
again....

Later conversations with lineman in the area confirmed both that detail;
and the fact their standard pole-pigs do NOT have a choice of taps.
[They replaced the pig serving me with a larger one a few years back.]

--
A host is a host from coast to