Posted to uk.d-i-y
zen83237 zen83237 is offline

Default Tumble Dryer Vent

"Lobster" wrote in message
Zen83237 wrote:
I am remodelling my kitchen and the most logical place for the tumble
dryer is against an internal wall. Can it be vented up and out a flat
roof. The washing machine can empty the waste water into the soil pipe in
a planned toilet/shower room. I planned to vent the toilet out through
the flat roof so was wondering if the tumble dryer can vent out the same
place. I need to ensure that the hot air from the tumble dryer doesn't
vent back into the toilet.

Never a good idea to have vents like this through a flat roof; lots of
scope for leaks. Certainly possible though.

Pretty sure you wouldn't be allowed to combine the toilet and tumble-drier
vents but Building Regs gurus here may know better.

My first thought though is are you sure you need the vent even for the
toilet - ie, have you looke into the possibility of fitting it with an
air-admittance valve instead?
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/78150/Plumbing/Soil-Vent/FloPlast-Push-Fit-Air-Admittance-Valve-Grey?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-AIR-ADMITTANCE-_-78150
May or may not be possible depending on various factors; however maybe
you've already been down this road?

David

This is a medium to long term plan that will involve building a kitchen
extention and toilet shower room. I am trying to visualise the options
before getting any plans done. I don't quite understand how the air
admittance valve works so I need to look into that.
I have a cooker hood extracting through a flat roof and that is ok.

Kevin