Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Calling owners of 1/2" routers: extent of plunge?

"rrh" wrote in message
Have found that my cheap Chinese router will not plunge far enough to make
full use in my new Makita router table of shorter cutters such as
profiling bits. The end of the collet only projects a fraction beyond the
baseplate even at full plunge. Fair enough: an excuse to buy a new router.
Could any owners of decent ones - eg Makita 3612, DeWalt DW625, possibly
the Erbauer one - very kindly check whether the collet extends beyond the
baseplate at full plunge (with any removable sole plate taken off) and if
so by how far, and post the results? Specs on the net give plunge depth
but that is not the same thing. Would be much appreciated - thank you.

Looks as though 10mm or so would be ideal.

I had a similar problem until I noticed part of the Perspex cover was
fouling.
It was needed when it was in a table so a couple of screws removed it and
the plunge was longer.
It was part of the dust extraction system and not really up to the job when
upside down anyway.