Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

Default Calling owners of 1/2" routers: extent of plunge?

Have found that my cheap Chinese router will not plunge far enough to make
full use in my new Makita router table of shorter cutters such as profiling
bits. The end of the collet only projects a fraction beyond the baseplate
even at full plunge. Fair enough: an excuse to buy a new router. Could any
owners of decent ones - eg Makita 3612, DeWalt DW625, possibly the Erbauer
one - very kindly check whether the collet extends beyond the baseplate at
full plunge (with any removable sole plate taken off) and if so by how far,
and post the results? Specs on the net give plunge depth but that is not the
same thing. Would be much appreciated - thank you.

Looks as though 10mm or so would be ideal.