Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Ping Larry Blanchard

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 29 May 2008 11:20:44 -0500, Leon wrote:

Hi Larry,

IIRC you work at Woodcraft. I am getting into pen turning and would
like know if pen styles/turning sizes are the same from different
manufacturers. Basically what I want to know is if the Woodcraft bushing
set is unique to the specific Woodcraft Pen Kit that is made for or if
that
bushing set would work with other brand pens of the same style.

Looks like nailshooter knows more about it than I do. I do a little
turning, but not pens. I know we sell an enormous amount of pen kits and
pen blanks. I know a given set of bushings is usually good for several
different pen styles, but sometimes a set is particular to only one style.

Yeah, Nailshooter is a wealth of information and a pretty nice guy to boot!
;~)
He pretty much confirmed my suspitions, other bushings "might" work with
other brand kits but they certainly are cheap enough that it is probably
going to be better to go ahead and buy the new bushing kit with the new
"brand" kit if buying from some one else.

There are several guys at the store who do turn pens. From what they say
and do, after you've accumulated a dozen or less sets of bushings, you're
pretty well set for most pen styles. BTW, they like small part boxes with
all the compartments for bushings, clips, rings, etc..

That certainly sound right and I'll have to look into some type of
specialized storage, hummmm Systainer?, to keep the parts and bushings
organized. I thought a bread twist tie and the resealable plastic bags
would work out well for the bushings.

You might also ask at rec.crafts.woodturning.

Yeah I'll have to resubscribe to that group.

Thanks for the help.