Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson Tom Watson is offline

Default Footlocker Design

On Thu, 29 May 2008 18:51:59 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"Tom Watson" wrote
My thought was that I would use finger joints in the corners, house
the bottom in a plough, lay the top in a rabbet, and that would make a
decent enclosure.

Then I figured I'd put a pinrail on the inside and sit a divided tray
on it.

Has anyone made one of these before? I'd hate to build something
stupid because I didn't ask enough questions about it.

I've used my old, original Vietnam era wooden Army footlocker for portable
microphone storage for over thirty years, and the two 1x1 "runners"
(spanning front to back on the bottom panel, and spaced a couple inches in
from each side), are a nice touch to keep the footlocker bottom off the
ground and high and dry.

I would consider this "feature" mandatory for a scout camp footlocker and
something you might want to consider in your design.

FWIW ...

The three Tejas boys chimed in within five minutes of each other. Are
y'all playing cards together tonight?

Thanks for the tips. They're some gooduns.

Regards,

Tom

Thos.J.Watson - Cabinetmaker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet